Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hard work brings simple pleasures

I think I just came up with my book title -

We have worked really hard this weekend. I was in a bit of a grumpy mood on Friday, so after I worked all day and got my haircut, I came home to clean the house. Dishes, laundry, and a major "general pick-up." I remember early in our marriage, if Trav came home and I was deep cleaning, he knew I was upset about something (hint hint).

I began Saturday morning by taking a walk. Simple pleasure - fresh air, enjoyed the solitude and felt the cool breeze on my skin.

I asked my Dad if he'd come over and help with a few outstanding household issues. One, our toilets have been running for probably 2 years! Yes, I am embarrassed about that fact. Well, he taught me how to replace the toilet flappers. Really, quite easy. He also had to make an adjustment on one of the toilets. Simple pleasure - no more sound of running water!

We had tossed the sink stopper about a year ago and had attempted to find a "universal" replacement. Don't let the word "universal" fool you! We bought about three that did not work. Dad replaced the whole sink stopper unit. Simple pleasure - I don't worry about dropping my ring or tweezers down the drain.

Our flag holder bracket thing had rusted out so it wouldn't hold the flag. I bought a new holder and replaced it MYSELF!!! Simple pleasure - I love watching the American flag flap in the wind.

I washed sheets. Simple pleasure - I LOVE clean sheets (especially when I have freshly shaved legs).

My Camry has cost a lot of money this month. It needed the timing belt kit replaced. I also had three of the four tires replaced and I had to get the emissions and inspection done yesterday so I could get it registered before the end of the month. Although we spent a pretty penny it does lead to a simple pleasure - I feel safe driving my car!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention all the cleaning Trav did to create the simple pleasures of a clean home. He cleaned both bathrooms, swept and mopped the floors and helped with the laundry and grocery shopping.

We did some sorting 'cause I want to have a yard sale next week. I love tossing unneeded stuff. That is the simplest of pleasures - decluttering our house! It goes back to regaining some control (i.e. when I am sad, upset, confused, frustrated - I clean or organize).

We grocery shopped which leads to that simple pleasure - having food in the house!

I made chocolate butterscotch crispy thingies which is a delectible simple pleasure!

I almost forgot! I have been reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. I finally found a book I am enjoying. Clean house, kick my shoes off, flop on the couch and get swept off in to an alternate reality - the most decadent of simple pleasures!

So, the moral of this story is that although work is hard and my back is sore, I now get to enjoy these few simple pleasures today!!


7 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I love this post Collette. I love days of organizing and cleaning too, and I love how you translated them into simple pleasures. There are benefits to all our hard work even if it's little things like replacing the rusted flag bracket so that you can have a flag flying outside your house. Wonderful. I pretty much enjoy cleaning all the time, but if I'm especially upset about something it makes me feel better to restore order and clean things up. I'm glad you channeled your frustrations into something productive that made you feel better. Also, you realize Travis is the only husband we know of who cleans bathrooms right? What a guy!

7:53 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

Ditto!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Isn't it amazing how much dads know how to do? I love it when my dad comes to vist. He hates to sit, and so he does anything that I want him to do -- and he plays with the kids. It's great.

I'm glad that you found a book to just relax and unwind with. I'll have to go get it.

9:54 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Excellent work! I love how getting things accomplished makes me feel. Then when you do relax, it's that much sweeter. Glad you guys got so much done and enjoyed all those little pleasures.

I've wondered about that book, so I'm glad to know you're enjoying it!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'm Jessie Tanner's friend, I read your blog a lot, first time commenter :)
All I can say is wow, you had such a productive weekend. That is great.
I'll have to check out your book, I've been a book slump lately.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yay Collette, way to find the good in what is not always enjoyable. I tink we miss the fac that we have to schelp our way through some unenjoyable things to have an environment that leads to ultimate pleasure.

How are you liking The Memory Keeper's Daughter? Would it make a good book club book? I ws thinking about suggesting that as our next book.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I wish this were a description of my weekend. I love when the house is in order! Enjoy!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home