Wednesday, February 22, 2006

What is the WORST that could happen?

Interesting experience today. I had an all-day training for work today. I was in charge of all the logistics and such. I didn't get much sleep last night for whatever reason. In the past, if I have been nervous about an event, Trav has been able to "talk me down." He asks, "so what is the worst that could happen?" This gets me thinking about all the possible scenarios and I eventually see that if any of those things occur, I can handle it. Well, one of those worst case scenarios happened. Here it goes...

We were scheduled to use three conference rooms at a Provo hotel for the training. I had reconfirmed just yesterday and all was in order before I went home last night. This morning, I got to the hotel and I peak in the two rooms that we had reserved and there was another group in there setting up food, materials, etc. My heart sank. I went to find the manager with whom I had been working. She was freaking out. Somehow, she had double-booked the rooms. She found out the night before when she had sent the custodial crew into those rooms to set up for our group when the group that had been there all week stated, "we are here for two more days." The poor manager didn't sleep a wink as she tried to figure out what to do. She told me right up front that I could yell at her and that it was all her fault and that there would be no charge. She had set up an area under the stairs and also had cleared out a suite of its furniture and set up tables.

So, what was my reaction? My first thought was that we could handle this. I told her that I had been yelled at enough in business so she was not going to get a yelling from me nor from my boss. We proceed to scramble a bit but eventually got things squared away. I noticed that as people arrived, I was able to calmly share the situation and then assign people to their "rooms" as if this set-up was normal. No one seemed to have a negative experience. The hotel staff handled it as best they could and we rolled on, only about 15 minutes behind schedule.

I have been reflecting upon this all day and what I took away from this experience. Although not ideal, everyone handled it well. The hotel staff could have said "Whatever" and "Sorry, but we can't accommodate you." (Yes, that would have been stupid on their part, BUT they could have reacted that way.) I could have freaked out, cried or completely panicked, but I was so glad that I remained clear-headed and calm. I was also impressed with my entire department. They could have complained about a number of things but they were champs.

I reflected on my own leadership style and the choice that I had to either hinder or help the success of the day. I learned that even when the worst scenarios become reality, I can handle it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Wow what a story. That's awesome Collette. Of course, I know you can handle anything, so it's interesting to think of you having Travis talk you down the night before an event. You're always so calm, level-headed and professional. Perhaps even you underestimate yourself. I'm glad the situation ended up going well, and really glad you didn't yell at the poor, tired manager. Well done.

7:51 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Great job! What a cool thing to learn about yourself -- even when the worst happens, you can handle it and remain cool and calm. That's awesome. I knew you could do it, but now you do too!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hot wife rules!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Collette, Once again I am just so impressed with you! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights. I check this all the time, this is my first time leaving a note for you... but I just have to say thanks for sharing. Kudos to you!!!
And thanks for coming to my shower today! And thanks for the gift! fun, fun! You're wonderful. Oh, as is your so, so funny husband. (is he still standing behind me reading this???) Ü

4:03 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

If the worst was going to happen, I would totally want you around! You did handle it like a champ and I'm glad everyone followed your lead and went with the flow!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Too often I hear stories where adults sink into childish behavior over circumsances that are out of their control. I would NEVER expect that kind of behavior from you--I know you too well to think that you would act that way--but I am never surprised by the actions of others. It sounds like you and everyone else handled it as well as possible. I'll be that poor hotel manager was go grateful that she was working with you!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home