Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day!!

I am so grateful for my Dad! He has taught me so many important lessons in life. He taught me to be responsible for my thoughts and feelings - I often heard, "he didn't MAKE you feel that way..."

I also learned from him accountability. When I was a teenager, he'd respond to my question regarding the time I needed to be home with, "you know yourself and what you need to do tomorrow." My immediate response would be, "tell Mom" as I trotted off.

He also taught me how to ask questions. Not asking a question was the stupid part, "there are no stupid questions" he would consistency tell us.


In addition, he has listened, loved and supported me. I have never felt his disappointment - not that I was perfect, but that he believed in me. If I made a mistake, he believed that I could learn from it and set it right. He has been a true mentor.

He has always believed I am beautiful and when I don't feel that way, his belief has carried me on. That makes all the difference.

Dad - I love and respect you. You are a hero in my eyes!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a great picture. Your dad sounds like the perfect hero to have growing up.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Very sweet Collette. You were blessed with a great father.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Thanks, Collette, for sharing.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I LOVE this - I want to copy and paste it to save as a reminder of what kind of parent I want to be - what a tribute.

9:02 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad, Collette. I love that he's your hero. I love that you said he believed you would learn from your mistakes and make it right. I hope I can instill that feeling in my own children.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Even though I can't remember ever meeting him, your dad is great! I love stories about your Dad.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful sentiment. Treasure the relationship that you have with your dad. As I have grown older, I realized that not everyone has a good relationship with their Father, how sad and how grateful I am for mine.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home