Thursday, March 08, 2007

On being thrilled with who we are

I just had to comment in part about our Relief Society Birthday celebration last night and in part about the blog theme of appreciating all the good things about oneself.

Yesterday, I saw some girls walking around campus with a pink carnation and a note tied to the stem. I wondered what it was for, but at the time of this post, still don’t know the purpose. I was waiting for Travis to pick me up for our lunch rendezvous (sounds romantic but it was just lunch at McDonalds). I looked down and saw one of these carnations discarded in some bushes. I saw that there was a note attached. This is what it said:

“No woman is a more vibrant instrument in the hands of the Lord than a woman of God who is thrilled to be who she is.” ~Sheri L. Dew

I was so struck by this statement that it filled my thoughts the rest of the day. I went to church for our RS Birthday Celebration. I asked if I could take a few minutes at the start of the program (I guess being RS President gives me the prerogative). I recounted the discovery of this note and shared the sentiments with the almost 50 women in the room. I truly felt the Spirit as I shared my love for each of these fine women and how Relief Society has collectively blessed our lives. It brings us together in sisterhood. I can honestly say that all 50 women were beautiful and the light of Christ radiated from them. It really was a powerful moment.

The rest of the evening was filled with good food, a beautiful musical number and 3 sisters sharing their thoughts of what Relief Society has meant to them. The second half of the evening was a “pamper sister” extravaganza. We had manicures, pedicures, seated massage, hair and face care. I watched sisters serving sisters. A sweet sister painted my toes. My feet haven’t felt this pretty in a long time!

Probably the most touching was watching an overwhelmed mother sitting at the manicure table. Her baby was screaming and the Enrichment Leader took the crying baby and strolled him up and down the hall as this mother received a much needed pampering. This Enrichment Leader was in charge of this whole event but took the time to serve. What could be more important?

I walked home from the church feeling rejuvenated, loved and a true sisterhood with these women. My thoughts also reflected back on this note I found (no accident, I am sure). I want to be that instrument and be thrilled with who I am. This is within my power.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Collette, thank you for sharing your thoughts and your experience. It really, really touched me. Very powerful.
Thanks so much.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

That quote is amazing and the story of you finding it and sharing it with your Relief Society sisters is so cool. You are the perfect person for the job of RS President and I can just imagine how wonderful it is to see you in action. Your activity sounds wonderful (ours is tonight) and the pampering is a great idea.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one epitomizes that quote like you do. You are truly thrilled to be who you are. Of course, it probably helps to be thrilled to be my wife. That is pretty cool. See you for dinner... KFC anyone?

5:20 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Really powerful post Collette. I have been the mother of the fussy baby and know that your Enrichment leader did an amazing thing! Don't you think, when we are happy with who we are, it is easy to give of ourselves. We know we have something to offer, big or small. Wish I could have been there! Our Birthday celebration is on Saturday night- and even if the activity is not real thrilling, you have reminded me what a blessing it is to associate with good sisters!

10:41 AM  
Blogger mamadee said...

I'm thrilled with who you are too! No mother could be more proud of her daughter and the wonderful woman she has become! I'm also grateful to know you are truly happy. That is indeed a blessing! I love you! Mom

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home