Thursday, February 23, 2006

Random Thoughts

Do you ever pick up a book and want to quit reading it but feel obligated to finish? Obligated to whom, I don't know, but I feel that way much of the time. I just completed "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. It was a 598 page book so that is probably why I felt compelled to finish. It must be that darn reading contest! I wouldn't categorize it as historical fiction - it was more of a fiction with LOTS of fictionalized real historical figures. A little Napoleon, Washington, Robspierre, Richeleau, Wordsworth, Delacroix and the list never seemed to stop! It felt really forced and I hate that! It was also centered on the game of chess of which I have absolutely zero understanding. I am glad it is finished so now I can read "Patty Jane's House of Curl." I need a uncomplicated book so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Completely different subject - I was in a 2-hour meeting today at work. I ended up skipping out a bit early because the people around me were talking/whispering and speaking out of turn. The meeting was a group of over 120 people. Have you ever been in a meeting like that? They all should know how to be polite and all the components of proper meeting etiquette. These people are supposedly professionals and many had been there for eons. It was driving me up the wall! I left so frustrated.

Topic #3 - I raided my folks CD's and have spent the past couple days downloading them to my iTunes. It is fun listening to music that I haven't heard in a long time.

5 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

I am getting really sick about this whole reading contest! All it has done is confirm that I am the fake reader in this group and I wasn't looking for confirmation! What music did you download?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I feeling obligated to finish a book. (That's how I felt by the end of I, Elizabeth.) It takes the joy out of reading and makes me want to throw the book across the room.

As for the meeting, that sounds annoying. I always d meetings anyway because they didn't seem productive and it felt like everyone nodded in agreement and then didn't do anything afterwards. (Granted, I wasn't in the most important of departments, but still.)

Finally, music is so therapeutic. It's fun that you could raid their cds and reconnect with old stuff.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only when I read the Old Testament... or the Ensign... or watch the Bachelor. Truthfully, I am kidding about all three - espcially the Bachelor!

Talking during a meeting is so first-grade. I would rather have someone sleep than talk and disturb others. Speaking of sleep, is it naptime?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I think I've felt obligated to finish books, but not becasue I've found the reading itself a chore. Generally when I read a really long book, I experience a lull and wish that I was rading something else. Usually I indulge and put the book down for a while. That seems to help. The three books that immediately come to mind are Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens, Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell and The Forsyte Sage by James Galsworthy. They were all excellent, and I was happy to have them finished, but it was because it felt like such an accomplishment, and not because the stories were weak, etc.

7:31 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

I sometimes have that feeling about being obligated to finish a book. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's a book that I just don't like very much. For some reason, I have a really hard time deciding not to finish. I wonder why that is? So I generally read till the end anyway. Weird. Patty Jane is definitely an uncomplicated read, so that should cleanse the palate, so to speak!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home