Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Back to School

I graduated from college in April 1996. I went to school for my Real Estate license in 1998. That was the last time I studied for anything of substance. Last Thursday, I was talking to John (works with me at CID) and he said that he was teaching an Intro to Photoshop class beginning that evening. I said that I wanted to learn how to remove red eyes from photos and he said "well, come take the class."

So, that's my story. It is interesting the timing of opportunities and I am so glad I jumped at the chance to do this. I have been talking about how I should take advantage of the free tuition benefit from working at the university. I know this isn't rocket science, brain surgery or even rocket surgery, but I was nervous about taking a class again. The whole idea of being graded is a shock to the system which seems pretty ridiculous since I always feel the need to perform on my job. I think this one class will help me get past any nerves/fears of pursuing other subjects. I just gotta figure out what there is out there and take advantage of this great benefit!

We have had 2 classes and I have already learned a few things that will save me a lot of time and frustration when I play around in Photoshop or try to print pictures for Primary. John promises me that I will be a pro (relatively) by the end of April. I will keep everyone posted!


5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I think it's awesome and lucky that you're doing that. What a great opportunity. I wish I could take photography and graphic design classes at BYU. If I had known how much I loved photography back when I was a student I would have majored in that. (Hindsight and all of that.) That's great you can take advantage of that benefit and do something interesting.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, lucky! A whole semester of Photoshop instruction. How fun! I took one of those UVSC Community Education classes about Photoshop. I learned a thing or two (like how to get rid of snot and slobber from kid pictures--I LOVE being able to do that!), but would love to know more. There's a picture on the DOBA website where they photoshoped a smile on a guy who wouldn't smile for the camera. The URL is http://www.doba.com/company/careers (copy and paste if you want to see). You can't tell at all. If you come close to being able to do anything like that, I'll worship you forever!

As for taking classes, I feel the yearning every fall. It's my greatest wish. But what I really want to do is go back and retake all of the classes I didn't do so well in so I can raise my GPA. That way if I ever want to go to Graduate School I don't have to be embarrassed when they look at my college transcript.

Have fun--and don't stress about the grade. It's not like you're trying to graduate or anything! You will have a great time.

8:52 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

Oh I am so jealous! Can I take that book making class you talked about as you? I'd work really hard and get you a good grade!

3:37 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

How cool! I would love to take a class like that. You will have to show us some of your results when you are ready!

6:41 PM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

Awesome. You will never regret it. I wish that was me right now. until then i continue to use my cheesy programs on my computer.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home