Thursday, March 02, 2006

Snap! Gotcha!

You may have noticed my absence the past few days. We have had an unwanted visitor and he has been hanging out in my office. I just have not felt comfortable working at my desk with my feet down.
I first heard some scratching in the kitchen on Saturday afternoon. I kept yelling out to Travis asking him what he was doing. When he didn't respond, I walked into the kitchen and knew we had a mouse. ICK!!!! We ran out and got 6 traps. We laid them out and sat back. We didn't catch it the first night. We actually saw it the next night. We watched it jump right over the trap! We realized we had a smart mouse which (it seemed) was laughing at us! We bought 6 more traps on Monday which made a total of 12 traps we set out throughout the house. On Monday evening, we found my earring, which had been moved a good foot, under a pillow. The grossest thing was that the little bugger had chewed the earring backing and bits and pieces were surrounding the earring. EEWWW!!
When two of the traps had peanut butter licked off but not snapped, we thought it time for the Orkin Man. My friend, Maria, told me that as a general rule, for every one mouse you see, there are 6 more unseen. WHOA!!! Well, the Orkin man came and did a thorough inspection of the house. There were no obvious signs of mice activity (a few droppings). He also said that our house was immaculate so that wasn't a problem (WHEW)! He also couldn't find anyway that mice could get in. He set a bunch of traps and that was it.
I checked traps upstairs after work today and the peanut butter was licked off (again). But, when Trav went downstairs....YEE HAW! The wicked mouse is D E A D. Thanks to Michelle Azanar who wanted a photo of any dead mice.
Hopefully, this was one random mouse and he/she didn't have time to procreate, but we are keeping the traps out just to make sure. I am back blogging, hoping for some peace in my own home!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I was never scared. No really.. never. Seriously... I promise... really

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Congratulations on your victory. It's a little sad for the mouse, but it really shouldn't have been in your house. I feel this way about spiders too and normally don't want to harm any creatures, but if it's in my house then it's their fault.

I hope you can sleep, eat, read, and blog easier now that the Orkin man has been there and you have an actual mouse--ew gross.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for making me laugh! What a surprise to come to your blog to find a picture of a dead mouse. I hope that you don't find any more so you can move around your house freely and comfortably!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the photo! I'm so happy you finally caught the little rodent! Shame on him for envading your personal space. Sad, I agree... but the silly little thing was just causing too much drama in your peaceful abode.

9:02 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

OK- I am going to have to stop reading blogs when my kids are around! There were screams when the dead mouse appeared on our screen!
Happy you are rid of it though! And SO happy you are back blogging!

9:48 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Tee hee! That made me laugh out loud when I saw your photo. Victory is yours! Hopefully the end of a lone mouse.

p.s. how did it feel to have someone pronounce your house immaculate? Words I don't think I'll ever hear...

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have had mice problems in the past and it was sooooo satisfying to catch the little bugger and have their little necks broken. Yeah for you and your clan.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home