Monday, March 06, 2006

Spring Projects

This was our move-in day on March 28, 2003. We have done a lot in the front yard (i.e. pulled out those horrible pygmy trees, reworked the lawn, curbed, barked and thinned out the decorative areas.

Hmmm...
All I can think to report here is about our FHE tonight. Trav and I discussed the household projects we want to accomplish this year. They are as follows:

1 - Backyard (add tree, shrubs, flowers, bark)
2 - Paint (indoor)
3 - Lawn maintenance
4 - Power wash house
5 - New Shower head (Main bathroom)
6 - Buy Grill
7 - Toilets repaired (Don't worry - they work but they make noises)
8 - Kitchen faucet replaced (just don't like the one we have)
9 - Closet Doors (The downstairs bedroom doesn't have doors)
10 - Hot water spigot fixed (Rewiring fix)
11 - Stain yard fence

12 -Add fence gate
13 - Hardwood floors
14 -Finish Laundry room in basement (rest of basement is finished)


Now, you may say "wow! that is a lot of stuff." We won't be able to do all these things this year HOWEVER, we have chosen to do #1 - 10 this Spring. We are so excited to get going on this list. We did receive a nice tax return which will cover (hopefully) #1 -10. Now, my task is to get bids on the painting and some of the minor repairs. If anyone knows a trustworthy painter, let me know.

We also reviewed our debt reduction plan and we were both happy with how it is diminishing before our very eyes. One thing I do is "virtually pre-pay" our set costs at the beginning of the month. I use Microsoft Money and list out all the set costs in the check registry as if they have been paid. I know I have actually paid it if I put a note in the "number" column. This includes all debt payments (i.e. credit cards, Harvard loan, car payments, mortgage) plus household bills (telephone, utilities). I also pay bills once a week and record any debit card payments amounts that have occurred that week. These few things help keep me on top of the financial situation and keep away any unwanted surprises. The other thing I LOVE to do is set-up the actual plan in a spreadsheet. We know what we are paying off first and once something gets to zero, we roll that payment over and add to the next debt.

Oh, how I want to get to the point where everything is ours! I feel good about the decisions that we've made (well, mostly) but it is still debt and I HATE that!

Hey - does anyone want to buy our really nice oak entertainment center???

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Impressive list and cute picture Collette. I love that you guys discuss these things and decide together. In our house, I tend to make the list and then share Randy's jobs with him, it's not working so well. I don't know that he has any grand plans on his own, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Ah inspiration. I look forward to seeing the results in your cute house.

8:00 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

I am TOTALLY going to make a list with Kelly about what to do around our house! There are lots of things and so we talk around them but never do them! A list and a plan is just what we need! (I'm ignoring your financial impressiveness- it overwhelms me!) :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh, how I want to start on our home improvement projects. But until we get some issues worked out with Richmond American we're on hold--which just makes me want to buy furniture! I can't wait to see all of the changes. About the kitchen faucet, talk to me before you buy. I have some major opinions about this one.

11:47 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Very impressive list. I am excited for you about your debt reduction! and wish we could see some results on that front. Sounds like you have some exciting improvements on the horizon.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cousin, Gary Wagstaff, is a painter. He does a beautiful job, he's little slow (not mentally), but the end product is worth it. He's painted my parents and my sisters homes. Let me know if you want his number or my families number and you can see his work. I love the list and how satisfying will it be to cross of 1-10 in a month or two. Have fun.

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home