Sunday, March 05, 2006

Reverence

Primary was quite amazing today. I often find that I have to work really hard to feel the Spirit in Primary. I wrangle children, I shush them, I run around making sure teachers are all there, etc, etc, etc. Today was different. The children were so reverent! Junior Primary is first in Sharing Time and although they are small and wiggly (usually), they were all sitting up straight, with their feet on the floor and folding their arms. They were actually singing today too!

Senior Primary was just as reverent. I was conducting today and I was thanking them for being so reverent when I was overcome with emotion. I was grateful that I felt that Spirit at that moment. I also told them that they could be reverent and still smile. :)

Sharing Time was about prophets and we had a panel of three who spoke about the influence of prophets in their lives. The children listened intently and asked really good questions. One question that touched me was "How does it feel when a prophet dies?" I appreciated that question and I reflected on how I felt when each prophet has passed away. I am so grateful the Lord has provided a plan (that makes so much sense) that provides a peace and a surety that the Church will go forward without interruption. I have always felt that peace when a prophet dies and immediately feel the love and affection for the new president of the Church.





4 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Wow, what a profound question to ask. It's something to think about.

I'm so glad you had a good experience in primary today. I often think of you and how busy you have to be during church, and wish I could do something to help that (other than share my experience in my ward). I love the music in primary and as I substituted today I felt flooded with emotion during one of the songs. It's wonderful to hear little kids sing/shout the words to the songs, it makes me feel like there's hope for the future.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow--a miracle! and I'm being serious. I'm always amazed when the children sit and pay attention because it's so hard for them! I've bene thinking a lot about trying to amke church atttendance about more than just being in attendance. It sounds like you had one of those days when you were able to take so much away. I envy that. Church has been really hard since having Kaitlin because sitting and listening is not an option--taking anything away (especially with a Primary calling) is a wonderful blessing. I'm grateful that you could recognize it and share.

12:29 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

I am so happy you had a good day in Primary. I wondered how a panel would work, I opted not to do it in fear of keeping anyone's attention. Reverence is a huge issue for our Primary too. No matter what we try, we just have to count our blessings when we finally have a reverent day! Glad you had one!

3:07 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Primary is interesting. Sometimes you feel like you hardly get anything out of it because of all of its challenges. Sometimes you feel like the gospel is almost more true in there, in all its purity. Glad you had a good reverent day!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home