Saturday, March 04, 2006

In Memoriam

We received news today that a dear friend past away this morning. Judy Brackett was an Admissions and Financial Aid Counselor for many years at BYU. I met Judy when Travis went to a conference in Las Vegas two years ago April. Judy, Travis and I traveled by van to Vegas. From the moment I met Judy, she made me feel special. She had an incredible knack for focusing on the person she was with and truly listening to them. We talked throughout the long drive and by the end of the trip, I felt I had made a true friend. Shortly after returning from that trip, she got sick. She grew weak and fragile and eventually retired from BYU.

I recall visiting Judy in the hospital at the very beginning of her illness. She wanted to make sure that "her students" were taken care of. She was so intent on helping as many students as she could. She was an incredible example of love, kindness, selflessness, and dedication.


The last time I saw Judy was at the SAAS Christmas Dinner. Travis was out of town but I went to his Division party alone, in large part, hoping that I'd see Judy. I had a few minutes to sit with her after the dinner. She held my hand and we cried together. I knew that would most likely be the last time we'd see each other. She asked about Trav's and my health. She focused on me and I felt as if she was looking into my soul. She said that she would be my angel and that if she could do anything to help bring a child into our home, she would do what she could to make that happen.

I am so grateful to have had the chance to know this fine lady. She is going to make an incredible angel!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

What a sad loss for you, but also what a nice memorial. It sunds like she had it all figured out. Hopefull someday people will be able to say such nice things about us.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm so sorry. Your words were very kind and inspiring. I would like to have people say things like that about me when I die.

8:06 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

I'm sorry, Collette. So sad when someone dies, but I try to remember that it is really only sad for us left behind here. I too hope someone can say things like that about me when I am gone.

12:41 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

I am sorry about your friend Collette. It was so nice to read about what a good person she was and I'm sure she would appreciate your nice thoughts!

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home